Monday, November 19, 2012

Words to a Song




I went to a Chris Young concert last night with Karin, Andrew and Austin at Covelli Center in Youngstown, Ohio. Chris who is 27, performed wonderfully even after telling the audience at the beginning of his act that he had lost a good friend that morning. I wondered how that affected his performance emotionally but he didn’t let it show. He did dedicate one song to his friend.

Starting the show was Joanna Smith who sang some lively country music. She had a lot of energy and came across as fun-loving. I enjoyed her laughter after each song.

Following Joanna was Eric Paslay. I truly enjoyed listening to his music and songs. He is a young man with curly red hair. He wore a baseball cap and his hair is long enough that his pretty curls hung below the cap in the back. (I wonder if he would appreciate the adjective “pretty?”)

Eric has a strong voice and his band was awesome. I liked the lyrics of his songs, his music was good and he had a good stage presence. Throughout his act he told of songs that he wrote that he then performed for us. There are many others that he wrote that other stars sing. Chris Young sang at least one of Eric’s songs. I believe the world will be seeing lots more of Eric Paslay before long.

Since I love to write, I couldn’t help but wonder how one goes about writing a song. How does the artist come up with a catchy phrase that blends so well into the music? Sometimes certain words have double meanings in the song. Often, the last word of one sentence seems to start the next or maybe goes into the first word of the chorus.

Songs convey a message through music. It is putting feelings or events into words much like writing a story, only making use of less but more powerful words to tell that story.

I am in awe of the artistic talent of musical entertainers. They not only have the musical ability of art but also the writing ability. Sometimes I struggle to let my muse out when writing words, but they then have to also use their musical talent to complete their project.

There was definitely a lot of talent on the stage last night, some better known than others, but talent just the same.

2 comments:

  1. nice to hear music from the artists, rather than just on the radio..glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so very much talent all over the world. Those who are on stage and those who are not. I am often amazed at how many good writers there are in blog land.

    ReplyDelete