Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Getting Ready for Nanowrimo

 

http://www.nanowrimo.org
I have spent the last couple days getting ready for my attempt in November to write 50,000 words. I have checked out a couple of the forums on the Nanowrimo website, filled out my profile, and checked out where some "write ins" will be held. The first one is Nov. 1 which is the first day of writing. I am going to skip that one because I need to sit down and get started and I know I will want to chat with the people if I go. Not that I don't want to get to know them but I don't want to waste any "writing time" on the first day.

Last night I got my desk at home in order making sure I had lots of space to work without clutter.

I am still trying to figure out what the novel will be about. Some people on the website have their characters defined, an outline done, and an idea of what the novel will be. Not me. I have written down some ideas and will just wait and see what my muse tells me to write. Then I plan to let my fingers fly over the keyboard and let the words fill up pages. (I used to do medical transcription so my fingers really do fly over the keys.)

One of the suggestions I read on the website said to just let the novel take place,  no editing along the way, let it be fun, even if it doesn't make sense. I guess that would be okay, it would be a way of discipline to just write. One person said they had a great idea for a novel so they chose the November writing challenge as a good time to work on it. But it didn't work out well because their inner editor kept making changes along the way and she didn't finish the 50,000 words. She did finish the novel but it took her two years. So this November I am not planning to write the "great" novel that everyone wants to read but plan to write write write. If it turns out to be the wonderful piece that I feel could get published, I will do all the editing I can and try to get it published. I have a few pages started on a novel that I think could be very interesting but won't work on that until after this is over. Maybe after writing so much in November, working on the idea that I think is good will be easier.

I looked at some of my writing that was sitting in folders, in composition books, and in a notebook. I was surprised at how good some of it actually was. I guess putting it down and coming back to it makes it look better.

Well, I better let my brain work on some more ideas and see if I come up with something.

Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck- may the words be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck..happy typing!..I know someone last year who participated in the 50,000 word challenge!..she loved it!

    ReplyDelete