Sunday, July 22, 2012

Do You Know Where your Parents Are?

There is a commercial on television where a 20 something guy says something like this, “I moved back home. My parents are getting older. I figure they need me.”
He goes toward the bedrooms and calls out for his parents. They don’t respond so he assumes they are sleeping behind the closed door.
As he walks into the kitchen, the commercial shows his parents along with several other couples their age out partying in the woods.
Tonight I felt like we were his parents. At Leisure Lake Campground, lots of campers park under the trees near the pond for some cool shade and also fellowship. There were more golf carts there tonight than I have seen since we came here.



It was so nice to sit and chat with so many different people who come from all over. Many of them are full-timers who stay here in Ohio for the summer then go to Florida, Texas, or Arizona for the winter. We get to hear about their travels, where they stay in the winter, how long they have been here at Leisure Lake, how they are enjoying their retirement, and also stories of how the park was long ago.
Most golf carts had a cooler with beverages of choice and lots of them were also stocked with snacks. We were not aware that this was standard protocol, so we went back to our site and filled our cooler with some beverages and ice. This is such an easy way to meet new people and develop friendships here.
The people here are of diverse backgrounds, education and skills. We have people who have or still work as engineers, electricians, barmaids, utility company workers, steel mill workers, business owners, mechanics, bookkeepers and even one guy, (we won’t mention his name) who works in an art museum, along with several I haven’t met yet.
When we decided to move to Leisure Lake Campgrounds we were told that everyone looks out for one another here and “We are all one big family.” You hear this phrase often, sometimes at work or in an organization, but it proves itself to be true here. We don’t know the majority of the people here, but everyone still waves or takes time to talk to you.
Now if I could only remember everyone’s name!

3 comments:

  1. I think people should wear name tags more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just started following your blog, but I notice you are using the word verification feature. We had a big go around about that among the RV bloggers this spring and most of us have gotten rid of it. Many will not leave comments if it is there, particularly if they are using an iPad or other tablet to read blogs. Just thought I'd let you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that the word verification was on mhy blog. I will try to get rid of it. Thanks for telling me and also Thanks for following my blog.

      Delete