Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sister to Sister Letter


Dear Lily,
This is a letter of warning from your little sister. Well, I’m not really littler than you but I am younger so that makes me the “little” sister. Don’t think that means you are smarter though, ‘cause you’re not!
Anyways, Big Sister, Lily, I just want to explain to you that you better start being nicer to me or else.
“Or else?” you ask. “Yes-or ELSE!”
There are only two more nights until Christmas Eve when Santa slides his chubby body down that fireplace. He is watching us, both you and me, and also all the other children and pets. All of us, Lily, not just me. So when I want to play with you, that means you have to play with me. And I don’t want to play “snake and panther in the jungle” anymore either. I want to wrestle with you and chase you. I’m tired of letting you be the panther in the brush, reaching out to smack me. You know, sometimes my little white cheeks get tender from that.
What? You don’t like when I box you back? Or bite your tail when I play “bite the tail on the cat?” No more football for you? Come on, Lil, what kind of fun is that you want to have? I just want to tackle you from behind, hold you down and bite on your tail. Didn’t you read the rule book?
Did I hear you say something like “I’m too old for this?” Age is just a number in your head Lil. You’re not really old. You still look real pretty so I don’t think you can be that old. Not so old that you can’t play with your little sister anyway. Right,Lily?
 
 
The main thing is Lily, you HAVE to play with me. Santa can see everything we do. Yeah, that’s kind of scary isn’t it? But I’m just being good ole Sugar so I have nothing to worry about. “What? That tissue I tore up in the hallway? Is that bad?”
 
Well Dad doesn’t need those old slippers that much anyway. I just made it extra comfy inside when I chewed the lining out. He has more room in there now. See Lil, I’m not being bad. I’m just always thinking of the other guy or gal, like you. When I chase you I’m just helping you get exercise, you know, to stay in shape. We both have to watch our girlish figures .You said you’re getting older so you better watch out or you’ll have to deal with the “sag”.

Everything looks so pretty at Christmastime, Lily. There are lights on houses, decorations in the yards, and lots of pretty presents wrapped up nice.

I love to open that pretty paper. Did you see what I did to the colorful wrapping paper Mama had out the other day? I dragged it into the living room and chewed away. She grabbed that off me so fast I didn’t have time to get to the roll in the middle. But that pretty bag with the red tissue paper inside that she put under the tree was lots of fun. I dragged it out by the handles and pulled that pretty paper into the middle of the living room. I made real nice confetti out of it although it was kind of wet by the time I was done. Then I pulled on the scarf in the bag and had fun yanking that around the room. But I got caught when the other thing in the bag made a loud clanking noise on the floor and Papa came in.
 
Ooh…wait a minute. Did I say, “I got got caught?” Hmmmm, that kind of sounds like I was doing something bad doesn’t it? Oh boy, Lily, I think I’m in trouble.  Do you think Santa will bring me anything?
 
Let me tell you about this Santa guy, Lil. He wears a red suit with a big black belt around his rotund belly. What are you chuckling about? Rotund is a real word. He likes to laugh a lot. We better be good Lily so he keeps laughing. When he laughs his belly jumps up and down, up and down. Then he has to pull on his britches –that’s a word too- so they don’t fall down. He has these really cool shiny black boots. I don’t know about them though. I’ll bet they are slippery on the rooftops. Yes, Lily, he walks on roofs. No, silly sister, he isn’t putting shingles on the roof. He lands his sleigh with reindeer on the roof. Then he walks over to the chimney, butters up, grabs his sack of presents, and slides on down the chimney.
That’s where you and I come in. You see, all the kids have to be in bed but we can sleep by the fireplace and he won’t think anything of it. He’ll still come down the chimney.
Here’s the plan. When we see his feet hanging through the opening, we pretend we’re sleeping. We can peek through one eye and watch him. He is supposed to put presents under the tree for all the good people, and dogs and cats I think. When he has his back turned you just amble over to him and rub that silky soft fur of yours against his leg. Use your female charm and distract him. I’ll start rummaging through his sack until I find some bones or toys for dogs. What? Cat toys too? Oh, yea, okay. I’ll be on the lookout for those too-if you are nice to me for the next couple days.
This sounds like a win-win situation for Sugar.

4 comments:

  1. Cute. Hope you all have a wonderful Holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh.... I do hope Sugar and Lily get to see Santa, but I'll bet he leaves something for them even if they're asleep. I bet your grandkids will love hearing about your critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling Santa will "overlook" some of Sugar's ornery deeds. Merry Christmas!

      Delete