Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Aaron "Ace's" the Test and Nicknames

Last year I wrote a blog about twin brothers vying for the same spelling bee. Both wanted it badly, but only one made it. Aaron was quite disappointed that he didn't get to be in the bee but he did get special permission to watch his brother Andrew compete last year.


His shirt says, "Sorry, I practiced more than you!" How fitting.


This year, Aaron aced the spelling bee rounds for his fifth grade classroom and will be competing while Andrew, hopefully, will be allowed to watch Aaron. During Christmas break, Aaron will be studying hard for the competition. I expect he will do well.



I use the word "Ace" in this blog, because that is Aaron's new nickname and it fits him well. He is a conscientious young man who tries to do things right, following the rules, doing things in order, and remembering what is expected of him. He is kind to others (except sometimes his brothers) and doesn't like to hurt anyone's feelings. He is sensitive to the needs of others most times.

Aaron was sometimes referred to as Aaron Baron because it rhymed. To me he is my "Special A" and always will be. This past weekend, his parents suggested several nicknames and he liked Ace the best. Hence, Aaron is now the Ace. Ace of spelling bees, Ace of kindness, Ace of a boy!

Looking back, it is interesting how nicknames get started. I used to refer to Andrew when he was a tiny infant as "Mr. Magoo" because he had fat chubby cheeks in a round face. I hadn't connected at that time that Magoo rhymed with Andrew when I started referring to him that way. Hence, we sometimes refer to Andrew as Magoo, or Goo. My personal nickname for Andrew is "Braveheart." I have watched that young man come through many things in his young life that many adults wouldn't have the tenacity to endure.

In keeping with the "A" theme for names, Austin was given an "alter-ego" nickname of Antwan by his mother. When Austin gets hungry a monster child seems to appear out of nowhere. From being the sweet, helpful Austin, Antwan can appear instantly without warning. Give Antwan a bowl of Cheerios and he disappears and Austin reappears. Austin will always be "Grandma's Sweetheart" to me though.

When I was a pre-schooler, I enjoyed playing with my brothers and doing boy things. My parents nicknamed me "Tom," short for tomboy, which didn't bother me at all. What did bother me was when my third brother was born and they had the audacity to name him Tom and stopped calling me Tom.

A teenage neighbor girl took to calling me "Effie Clinker" when I was in grade school which made me cry. I have no idea why I cried when she called me this nor do I have any idea why she named me that. Who is Effie Clinker anyway?

3 comments:

  1. My Dad called me Peanut but no one else did. He was a hard man, but I, his youngest seemed to find a place in his heart that none of the others did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tried to google Effie Clinker and Charlie Mc Carthy came up?
    congrats to your grandson on 'acing the spelling bee'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Janice!And congrats to your grand for the spelling bee success!

    ReplyDelete