Thursday, May 24, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BARB!

Today is my sister-in-law’s 65th birthday, quite a milestone!! My family is so lucky to have Barb in our lives. She is always fun to be with and will never ever act her age. NEVER!

My children have her wrapped around their finger, as they are wrapped around her heart. Though Barb never had children of her own, she has been a big part of my children’s life and treated them as her own. While growing up, she took them to many places and events, bought them lots of toys, clothes and sweets. All they had to do was ask, even just suggest, and whatever their wish, it was granted.

To this day, they can still get her to do most anything, foolish or not. Many pranks have been played on Barb and she takes it like a good sport.

One Thanksgiving, my son and daughter went to Barb’s house and took the bale of hay, scarecrow and pumpkins from her yard and placed them in our yard next to our porch steps. When Barb came to Thanksgiving dinner at our house, she was amazed that I had the same scarecrow in my yard as she did. When she got home, she realized that what was in my yard was really hers!

At work, Barb and her co-workers had a gift exchange. For some unknown reason, one man opened a package containing a black and white hat exactly like the one Barb had purchased in Pittsburgh. It took her a while to figure out that once again, the hat was really hers!

We had a couple of stray kittens around our house one year and it was cold outside. Karin and Kenny convinced Barb to take one of them so it wouldn’t die in the cold. The only problem was, finding the kitten when Barb was around was not always possible. So they decided that when the kitten showed up they would call Barb to come and get it. One bitter cold evening, my doorbell rang and there stood Barb in her nightgown covered by her winter coat, boots, and curlers in her hair. She said, “I’m here to get the cat.” The only problem was there was no cat to be had.

This morning she called Ken to tell him about what she found in her front yard. Yes, again, my son pulled it off. Below is a picture of the yard signs he had placed during the night. I know she especially appreciates the fireman, trying to put out all the flames.
Barb's little man
Barb on porch

Sign says: "Happy Birthday Aunt Barb. So Many Candles, so Little Cake"
 While we were there to take pictures of the yard signs, Barb came out not quite ready for work. I said, “Let me get a picture of you on your birthday.” She posed so nicely on her porch and I snapped the picture. Did it bother Barb that she still had curlers in her hair? Not at all. That is the kind of person she is. She is not vain, not selfish, nor mean. She is a caring, giving and happy person, ready to experience the next event in life without hesitation or fear of embarrassment.
We love you Barb. Happy Birthday! We need lots more birthdays with you.


1 comment: