Monday, June 20, 2011

Fathers

I didn't post on for Fathers' Day because I was busy enjoying time with Austin and Andrew on Saturday and part of Sunday. We went swimming here at Mosquito Lake on Saturday. I was playing in the water with them, pulling them, tossing them (as best I could) into the water, and just having fun. A little girl about four or five asked, "Can I play with you too?"

I was more than glad to let her in on the fun. First I asked her if she knew how to swim and whether she could go under water yet. She said no to both questions. "Okay, then I won't do anything that makes you go under water," I told her.

She then asked me, "Can you pick me up and twirl me over your shoulders like my daddy does?"

"No, I don't think so. I am too old," I told her.

"My daddy is very strong," she told me as she demonstrated the twirling motion her dad used. I could tell he was someone special in her life. Her innocent description of her father, just goes to show how children idolize their dads.

I know my grandsons think their dad walks on water. He is so good to them, so patient and giving. A lot of men would not do the things he has done with and for them without even thinking twice about it. It just comes naturally to him. I know that Bill loves being a dad and loves his boys unconditionally. I have watched him on Christmas morning with packages being opened in all directions around him, people walking over gifts and pets, children all over, and one of his boys will ask him to put a toy together. Withhout hesitation, he will do it. He doesn't say, "Later, or wait a while," he just does it. That has always amazed me.

My grandsons have made comments about their dad that lets me know he means the world to them. One day when Aaron was about five, we were putting his socks on his feet. He stopped me and said, "Daddy says the grey goes on the bottom." That was it. Dad said it, it is  now gospel.


So many dads are not a part of their children's lives. The children as well as the dad are missing out on so many opportunities. The dad's responsibility is being taken on by someone else and that dad's influence is not being bestowed on those children.

I was lucky to have my dad throughout my childhood and into adulthood. My parents remained married and raised us together. He was a perfectionist in anything he undertook. He was smart, had a sense of humor and worked way too much. I missed him a lot during my younger years when he was working seven days a week. I used to think that I would rather not have so many things if I could just have my dad around more. If this sounds like you, take more time with your kids. Material things will fade away but your children are waiting for your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment