Saturday, February 23, 2013

Turn That Frown Upside Down

When I look in the mirror in the morning I see an aging woman still trying to appear young, I have never been into wearing much makeup and never learned to apply it to achieve that polished look. My nieces, Courtney and Erin, are so pretty they look like models. They know how to apply eye makeup, blush and whatever tricks used. They are pretty without the makeup but I am amazed at how well they know how to apply it.

A friend of mine recently starting selling Avon. On a whim, I picked up one of her catalogs, not expecting to find anything I wanted. I was amazed at how reasonable the prices are. My mascara was almost gone and I have tired of just using a bronzer for color on my face.

I placed my first order for Super Shock mascara (not waterproof so the verdict is still out on that) and Beyond Color "Uptown Pink" lipstick. I don't wear lipstick normally but I thought it might add just enough color to brighten my face. The blush is in my second order. 

Okay, first morning I put the lipstick and mascara on and my co-worker wants to know, "What's the special occasion?" 

"Nothing special I just got my Avon order so I have to try it out."

I'm feeling like I have added something to my looks and I check it out in the bathroom mirror near my office. Well it wasn't the mascara that gave me the "super shock". What I was surprised to see is that by wearing lipstick, the shape of my mouth is pronounced. Well, yes this particular lipstick is supposed to "plump" and make your lips appear fuller. But that is not what I saw.

Being a serious person, although I like to have fun and laugh, I must have a frown on my face normally. There it was pronounced in a pretty pink. The sides of my mouth go down in a frown naturally.

So, no, I am not going to stop wearing lipstick. This newfound discovery now has me more conscious that I need to smile more and change the direction of my lips up from down. Maybe my co-worker will be asking me what's so funny or tell me I look like the cat that swallowed the canary. No matter, I need to turn that frown upside down.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it curious what something like new makeup does? Yeah, it probably makes us look better for a while.. but most of all it makes us aware as how we must appear to others. Makes me think of a co-worker I had years ago. She bought wrinkle-reducing cream... used it before heading out to a party. She just knew she looked great... she smiled a lot and had a great time. Later in the evening she went to the Ladies room... saw that the makeup had totally disappeared. She realized that because she thought she looked great, she felt great and came across great... and it wasn't the make-up at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never leave the house without lipstick or lipgloss..may not use much of the other stuff but can't go anywhere without my 'gloss'!

    ReplyDelete