Saturday, August 11, 2012

Getting Anxious

I just joined two blogs I found while following some of my favorites. One is Ray-Wendy.blogspot.com and the other is Owensontheroad.blogspot.com.

Both of these couples will be starting their full-time RV life in October and are now making their final plans for it:  Putting in resignations, cleaning out their basements, getting bike racks, getting ready for their new "home address", getting the dish installed on their campers, etc.

I can't wait to follow their blogs as new full-timers. And I can't wait until Ken and I can join them.

Sometimes it seems like it is a real possibility for us and other times the negative thoughts creep in and we can't visualize it. Is this something all pre-full timers went through? Are we thinking wrong thoughts?

Maybe we should have stumbled upon this lifestyle years ago so we had more time to plan for it. Do you have any suggestions for us to help us get there quicker? 

What roadblocks did you face along the way that we might expect? How did you get over them?

Was worry about having enough money for the lifestyle a concern of yours and how did you handle that?

I would really appreciate some input from anyone living the lifestyle or planning to live it whether full time or only part of the year. If you know other full-timers who you think would like to give us some suggestions, please direct them to my blog to leave comments.

Thanks for following and for any input you can give.

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Janice! Nice to see you over at our blog. We've been researching the full time life for over 3 years, beginning with the internet, then rallys courtesy of RV-dreams.com. A major flood took the 'getting rid of stuff' decision out of our hands last September. Ever since then it's been full steam ahead! We will be on a tight budget for a few years as George is the only one at the magic age of SS. Workcamping is definitely in our future! Maybe we'll see each other on the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are holding off until we can get SS before deciding. We are planning and have read books, internet, followed blogs. Ken knows more about it than me especially the technical stuff we will need. I am the financial person trying to get us into that place where we can do it.

      Delete
  2. We started to talk about it many years ago. It was my husbands Idea, but I was reluctant. About three years ago I got the "bug" and started working toward full time someday. My husband retired in January and we have been working on a hopeless house ever since.

    His heart is in it, but I don't think he will ever get all that he wants to do to the house done before we get too old!

    We bought an RV last September and are now taking a few trips from time to time.

    Money is always a concern. Going full time can only happen if we sell the house first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been following your blog for almost a year. I always question why he insists on fixig it up just to sell it. But men will be men. I hope do get to realize your dream of full timing, because I'm coming along for the ride via your blog no matter what!

      Delete
  3. Nice to have you tag along. Our time to hit the road is coming up fast. We have been talking about doing this for at least 15 years. When the for sale sign went up, we we're like "we're really doing this?". It's a roller coaster ride!
    We're glad we have a very nice and helpful financial planner. He has given us a lot of support.
    Keep reading blogs and forums for info. Hope our paths cross down the road. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting rid of the house will be the big scary moment for me. It is too big for us anyway so staying there doesn't make sense anyway. Do you have an exit strategy lined up?

      Delete
  4. I have to say that even with planning for John and I, it was hard to feel the reality of it until we were actually doing it. We planned to be in our RV for six months or so and now it has been three years. And we don't have a plan to stop now. We do still need to make money so we are trying to figure that out. We imagine being in Canada half the year and in the U.S. half the year. I have to say it has been a most liberating experience! Dream aloud together and agree on a plan then let it go.

    ReplyDelete