Friday, April 13, 2012

To Pose or Not to Pose?

Isn't it fun to look back at old pictures? Remembering where we were when they were taken or what took place at the time? Pictures even when taken randomly create memories.

I have lots of pictures of my grandchildren taken without them knowing it. They didn't even have to be doing anything special at the time, just being themselves. As time goes by and I look at those pictures, I see how much they have changed or how innocent they were at the time. Maybe a tooth missing, their hair needing cut, a scrape or a bruise showing. The pictures are still wonderful, whether a little out of focus, a blurry background, whatever. I still have a picture to look back on.

But then there are those people who hate to have their picture taken. Ken had an aunt, now deceased, who always covered her face when we tried to get her picture. I have several pictures of the back of her hand and a portion of her face or body. Not long ago I tried to take pictures of my mom at her house and she did the same thing.

How sad that these people would not be willing to allow us to have those memories. Do I always look great in pictures? Heck no! But then, do I always look good when I am not getting my picture taken. No again. I am who I am, take it or leave it. Sure, I'd love to have some pictures like the ones taken in galleries where they touch it up to make you look flawless. But in reality, that is definitely not me.

When I get a picture album out, I could spend hours reminiscing while looking at them.

When you hear of someone going back inside their home during a tragedy like tornado or fire, one of the things they usually are trying to retrieve are their photos. Pictures are important. Don't be shy of the camera. One thing I can tell you is this....those pictures you hated 10 years ago will look pretty good to you today.

4 comments:

  1. Most pictures taken of my son when he was young show a very sullen boy... or he has his face shielded with something. He's only 3 months away from being 50 years old now... and only in the past few years allowed me to take his picture. But it was those "candid" shots... the ones taken when he wasn't aware of the camera... that show his real personality. Your blog was spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun to look at old pictures but mine are in storage for the present, except what's on the computer from the past two years as we have traveled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those old photos Jan. In fact, I just looked at my family album for the first time in over a year. Gives me a great feeling. Thanks for sharing. Say hell to the old man for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will tell him. HOpe all is well with you

      Delete