Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A New Page in a New Year

Happy New Year to all my readers! Thank you for taking the time to follow my blog.

Another New Year is here. It is like turning a page in a journal and discovering a clean sheet of paper; like finishing a chapter in a book, ready to start the next one. It gives us hope of better things to come and a way to put those things from our past we want to forget behind us.

Many people make resolutions at the beginning of the year, myself included. Over the years, I should have lost mega pounds, finished lots of projects, and learned a lot of stuff. Resolutions are good if you can stick to them. For me, it is a mark of a failure if I don't so I am better off not making them. I am not beating myself up over that. As long as I am trying to be a better person, live a healthy life, and give back to others, I can be happy with myself. I now realize that no matter how hard I try, I will NEVER be perfect. (I hope Ken is not reading this because I would hate to burst his bubble.)

Although not a resolution, one goal that I have for myself this year is to get something I have written, previously or in the future, published. I am not seeking fame or fortune, I just want to see myself improve with each writing so that I get to the point that someone believes it is worth publishing. With this goal in mind, I have to discipline myself to go back and edit, edit, edit; I have to pick up my dictionary or thesaurus to get just the right word to make my thoughts stand out; I have to do research; I have to expose myself to more and pay attention to things. When I am humming away with my best writing is when I have made myself more aware of my surroundings, letting my mind question everything, paying attention to details, and looking for the next new thing to appear before me.

I have a lot of work in front of me to achieve this goal but the satisfaction I will feel once I do, will be well worth it. Wish me luck.

Thanks to all of you who encourage me and who let me know when you enjoy one of my blogs. Those words spur me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment