Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Treasures in these Walls

Recently I was cleaning up the storage area of our attic. I moved all the Christmas decorations which take up most of one side of the storage area into the big area of our attic. While sweeping and scrubbing the floor I paid more attention to where the floorboards do not meet the outside wall of our house. I wondered if anything could have or did fall into that space.

So downstairs I go to get a flashlight so I can do some investigating. Walla! I found great treasures....plastic eggs from Easter egg hunts, straw from Easter baskets, and lots of dust. But then my eye caught an area that appeared to have a piece of paper down there. I shined that light right on it and couldn't believe my eyes. There was an envelope sitting in there. Wonder why I never saw it before? Oh yea, all those boxes of decorations and wrapping paper were blocking it. So down on my hands and knees I go to retrieve this mysterious envelope. I wonder if it was here when we bought the house? I wonder whose letter it is?

When I pulled it  out of the space, there was not only the envelope but also another letter behind it. Oh boy, this is going to be interesting.

I checked the address on the envelope along with the post date. All of a sudden lights came on in my head. The envelope was addressed to the parents of  "........" and the post date was 1990. The return address was our local junior high school.  The letter inside along with the letter found behind the envelope were both reports to parents on the actions of a child.

I laughed out loud when I realized it took 20 years for this letter to come to light. After Ken came home, we took it across the street to our son's house.

After greeting him and Marissa, Ken pulled it out of his pocket and I announced, "You're grounded!"

Kenny laughed and said, "That's why you never got it. What good would it have done? I would have just been grounded and I would still end up where I am now."

And where he ended up is fine with me. He is a good and smart adult, responsible and dependable.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have done some things differently.

Now, I wonder what else is stuffed in the walls of that old house?

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful story, artfully told! I've learned a lot about myself looking back in time with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen. If only parents could see into the future while raising their kids, it would be much easier.

    ReplyDelete