Sunday, May 11, 2014

Why Mother's Day is Special to Me

Today is a truly  special day for me. Mother's Day.


It is not so much that it is a holiday but rather the meaning of Mother's Day. My husband, Ken, still asks me after nearly 43 years of marriage, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"


He knows my answer will be, "A wife, mother and grandmother."


I feel so blessed that I was able to become all of those things. Being a mother is one of my greatest joys in life. I was blessed with two beautiful children, Karin and Kenny. They blessed our family with their spouses, Bill and Marissa.




Our family grew again when our three grandsons, the A-Team, Aaron, Andrew, and Austin were given to us.


Motherhood has been a time of fun, learning, gritting my teeth, times of embarrassment, and times I wish I could have back. My children grew up too fast and now my grandsons are doing the same thing.


People talk about what ages they enjoyed their children the most, but I don't think I can pick any certain time. Watching children grow through all their stages is so exciting and interesting. I enjoyed their excitement at seeing or touching something new, watching them master their first steps or learning to talk, writing their name, or drawing me a special picture or card...how could I choose one as more important than another?


Going to their sports events and seeing them win or lose, but grow more mature and understanding through it all.


Helping with homework, even though at times I was probably as frustrated as they were, and then watching them succeed in school and move on into the world and become successes.


Having my children as adults is just as rewarding as having them as children. My children have shown me their strengths, their weaknesses, their needs and their compassion.


Kenny loves to race and excel. Nothing can be half-way with him. It's all or nothing.


Karin loves her boys, devotes herself to them, and enjoys their antics even when most parents would be pulling their hair out. To have half a dozen extra children at her home does not faze her. She is truly wonderful with kids.


I don't ever feel like I was the perfect mother, the best mother, or the mother who knew just what to do or say at the right time. I fumbled along like most mothers do but I am proud to be a Mother, and most of all, proud to be the mother of my two children.


Happy Mother's Day to all the lucky women out there who love being a mother as much as I do!

1 comment:

  1. It's so much easier for me to read what others have to write about Mother's Day than express my own feelings. I love reading such happy words.

    ReplyDelete