Monday, March 11, 2013

Squatters

We went camping this weekend. It has been way too long since we got to spend a weekend in our second home. We packed lightly, prepared food ahead of time, and away we went to Leisure Lake Campgrounds for a weekend of R & R.


Last fall I had cleaned the camper thoroughly before the cold winter. I knew it was ready for us with clean sheets on the bed, the rugs were washed and put back in, the cupboards and closets cleaned and in order.
But over the winter, someone else found all those conveniences too good to pass up. You see, we had squatters. They must have thought the electric blanket on the bed would keep them warm, so they nestled in. Too bad for them, I had the blankets unplugged!
 
When you get hungry you check out the cupboards, right? But don’t destroy them, please. The squatters tore up coffee filters (I won’t be leaving any more for the next uninvited guests-they can bring their own). They spread that mess throughout the cupboard, leaving pieces in cups, glasses and bowls.
 
They must have decided they needed to clean up after themselves after seeing the mess they made. In the bathroom they checked out under the sink for any cleaning supplies. Those were removed too because they would freeze and explode. They used the rags I left but not for cleaning.
 
The remnants of their meals were left throughout the camper. Acorns had been cracked open and shells and pieces of the nut were strewn all over the cupboard, behind the mattress, and in the bathroom closet. As we were near leaving Sunday, I found another drawer with an acorn but I didn’t have time assess the damage.
ALVIN!!!!!!       Please tell your friends to get an invitation before coming into my home. It is not a motel!
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Oh My! I hope they didn't decide to gnaw on any wires or hoses. I'm guessing these were chipmunks... not mice...(?) but still... what a mess they left! Not nice tenants!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed any yet. I'll keep my eyes open.

      Delete
  2. Do chipmonks carry disease like mice? Do you put out traps of any kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about the disease. I never had critters before. I had to scrub everything again including all the dishes.

      Delete
  3. I frequently read blogs about little critters entering campers and recking havoc. I'm lucky I haven't had any in my RV so far. Hope you get things back the way they were.

    ReplyDelete